<VV> Teens and 1st cars

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 20:36:07 EDT 2007

I have a son and a daughter. While I can't generalize about the population based on my experience, I can supply one data point in contradiction to the idea that boys are into working on cars and girls are not.

  Some of you old-VV-timers may recall the 3 years during which my daughter and I mechanically refurbished her 1964 Spyder convertible. Ralph and some of you safety-minded old fuddy-duds might fault me for putting my own daughter in such a dangerous car, but I still believe a safe car is one you understand and can control because you know its limits. I  purchased that car as a non-runner when daughter Leigh was 13 and we immediately set to work. She did at least one of everything - if I did a left side brake, she did the right. We completely tore down and rebuilt every mechanical system- engine, brakes, suspension, steering gear, transmission, differential, electrical. She cleaned more parts than we could count. When she started driving it at age 16, she had earned it by sweat equity. She does her own maintenance (lube jobs, oil change) and minor on-the-road repairs, and works with me on the more involved projects. She just graduated from college, and it has been her daily
 driver throughout. I don't know if she will someday buy another car, but I doubt she will ever get rid of that one! She recently told someone "I'm not technological, I'm mechanical!".

  My son Brian (currently in college) could not be enticed to work on any cars. Even the secret weopon of telling him he couldn't have a car unless he worked on it was useless - he doesn't even WANT a car! Which is probably a good thing given his experience so far driving cars he didn't own. It's not that he is reckless or wild as a driver, just doesn't do well.

  I love my kids just as they are, but neither one fits that male / female stereotype as far as cars are concerned.

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on