<VV> Silicone brake fluid

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 22 14:58:31 EDT 2007

Melissa,

    Contrary to what other folk say, I have put silicone fluid in my 55 Nomad years ago, and did not go to the trouble of flushing the system first with alcohol or any other solvent.  I did run lots of the new silicone fluid through the system at the change, and probably got rid of most of the conventional stuff that way.
    I find silicoone fluid to give a bit of a "squishy" pedal, particularly over time.  While it doesn't pick up moisture like conventional stuff, it will dissolve oxygen/air, I believe, and then with temperature changes, you can get some small bubbles.  It's fine, particularly if the car will not be driven much or dirven hard.  On the other hand if you are going to drive the car hard, I recommend the hi-performance blue ATF (I believe) fluid that is available.  It has a much higher boiling point than DOT 3 stuff, and gives a firmer pedal than silicone.

                   Travis Payne    65 Monza
                   Raleigh, NC