<VV> Re: rattling chokes

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 24 20:57:56 EDT 2007

   I have been reading about the mystery of the rattling choke pull off. There have been some good suggestions, as this would most likely be caused by something that would cause an erratic pressure change in the head such as a broken valve spring. The "signal" for the pull off is in the base of the carb, always open to the head. Such failures would probably cause more than just the choke to rattle, however, and would probably be signaled by things such as gas spurting out the top of the carb or an unsteady engine at all speeds.
   I suggest we consider the simple fact that good quality vacuum pulloffs are going the way of the plastic choke trippers for our carbs (which are currently not available, BTW). A brand spanking new one might be defective (sounds like the old fuel pump thing?). About the only pulloffs available are of substandard quality. The plastic on most is so thin that you can see the rubber diaphragm inside through it. As a result, they often leak, break, or don't work at all. The orifice for their intake is the wrong size, etc. But, just to make us feel better, suppliers have increased the price. Most are coming from only a couple of major distributors, so I don't predict an improvement in the near future. I, and other large purchasers have complained loudly, but it does not appear that there is currently much interest on improving the quality or supporting the brand. FWIW.
The Carbmeister