<VV> Re: Corvair Prices now CA registration

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 26 00:14:15 EDT 2007

As an Oregon resident, I just (last weekend) bought a black plate
California 'Vair that has been unlicensed for many years -- most of what
Matt noted was the way it worked, except:

After 4 years of unregistration, the vehicle is dropped from the
computer system. If it is not in the computer, it does not have a valid
California title, even if you have a paper one in your hands.

They have a brouchure/procedure/paperwork on how to re-title such
vehicles. The old paper title for the car I purchased was lost, and the
VIN was not in the computer.

Oregon will not accept out of state vehicles for simple re-registration
without the out of state title.

I had picked up what I was told were the proper documents from CA DMV a
few days previous.

What I needed to process this to get a CA title was a document that
included a Bill of Sale section among several other items -- get as many
signatures on this as seem applicable.

The DMV gal inspected the VIN -- the engine and separated transaxle were
also on the trailer, but not in the car.
The rest of the car was complete. This form was on the back of the Title
Application.

I needed some document showing previous Cal registration and the year of
the vehicle -- fortunately there were a couple old registration
certificates found in the car -- had to fill out the application for
title, and then a statement of facts form where I had to write that the
previous registered owner was deceased (he was), that the car was going
out of state and had not been on a California hiway (or parked near
one), except on a trailer, since it was last registered, and the vehicle
had been stored on private property in the interim.  Also checked the
Title Only box.  Oh, and I had a very cooperative DMV agent to assist in
this matter -- I'm sure it helped.

Seventy dollars later, I had a PNO-REG DEFERRED receipt in hand with the
VIN of this vehicle, a new CA plate number (the black plates had been
"misplaced") and my name and local Oregon address on it along with a
lengthy statement about how if it was ever on a CA hiway without full
legal registration, it was going to cost me soooo much money ...   PNO
-  Planned Non-Operation

A title document is supposed to show up in the mail (boy, I hope it
does!) that I can take to my Oregon DMV to register the car here.

fyi

Bill S