<VV> clean for assembly

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Jun 26 17:05:21 EDT 2007

I'd say no to cleaning assemblies except the exterior of the closed up entire engine before tear down.   With a water rinse/flush the added chance of water remaining and rusting valve spring and valve stems, or bearing type journals on the crank or cam, or lifters, among others is too risky.

The heads need to be disassembled, and the guide holes scrubbed free of varnish, the valves scrubbed clean, and few dozen mechanical features individually checked,  valves and seats ground at a minimum, along with a thorough visual inspection of critical surfaces' condition. Then the head parts need to be thoroughly solvent and brush cleaned, dried, lubricated and assembled, and the assemblies kept in plastic bags as "clean for assembly" until final assembled.

As far as I am concerned, pretty much All parts, whether new or used, should be gently but positively cleaned after trial assembly and machining, prior to final assembly.

Some areas of the engine will tolerate a little swarf, dirt or grit much better  than others, but dirt never does an engine any good.  Cleaning of the cylinder bores after honing is especially important.  Scrubbing with soapy water and a bristle brush, rinsing and sprayed with a water displacer (WD-40) then drying works well.  The cylinder walls must be so clean that  wiping 100% with a white oily rag must result in the rag staying white. Any gray residue implies honing grit remains, and that is a ring eater.  No break-in can restore scuffed scratched rings.

Even when re-ringing a good running engine The piston grooves should be clean and not scratched, and the piston rings' end gaps, side gaps, and back clearance should be check 100%.

Any stow-aways (particles, liquids, or gels) in the passages in the block or crank will be pumped directly to the cam, crank and rods.  It is tough to beat several cycles of clean solvent, bristle brushes, compressed air, after various plugs are removed.

$25 brush kit at Speedway   http://www.speedwaymotors.com/eccStoreFront/product_images/500/545-61820_L.jpg

$9 Mr Gasket brush kit at Summit http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mrg-1211_w.jpg

--
Dan Timberlake

Original Message: 13
From: Stephen Upham <contactsmu at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: <VV> Cleaning block parts

I need a quick answer.  I'm cleaning my parts in anticipation of
putting the engine together this weekend.  I'm using Simple Green and
water in a storage bin and a parts brush.  I'm then rinsing the parts
with a water hose and stray nozzle on full.  I'm then blow drying the
parts under 120 psi with a directional nozzle.  I'm then placing them
on the patio table to cook in the sun.  My question is, is this
process ok to do to the heads.  They are complete with valve guides
and springs attached.

Stephen U