<VV> RE: Need help with deciding on WHERE to start

Phil philandcaroll at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 27 07:54:03 EDT 2007

Melanie,

One of the great things about Corvairs is how easy it is to keep them going
without spending a lot of money. You are mechanically inclined, so that puts
you way ahead of the game. Some parts you will have to pay for, new clutch
stuff etc. Other parts can be had for very reasonable cost from friends in
the club, parts cars, etc. Plus, I have learned that there are lots of
things on a Corvair that can be "fixed" simply. Unless a part is broken or
worn beyond beyond, simply removing it, cleaning it, lubricating it, and
putting back together will often make it work like new. This works very well
with door locks by the way. Do you have shop manuals? I would suggest
getting a '60 and a '61, these are very good and will take you step by step
through most anything you need to do. Read the manual first, then look at
the parts and it will all start to make sense.

In terms of cost per mile, a Corvair is about as cheap as you can get. And
the early models (in my opinion) are the easiest off all to work on. So
don't hesitate to tear into it, and above all, have fun!

Phil & Max ('64 Spyder convertible)