<VV> Two Questions

Matt Nall nalllm at verizon.net
Wed Jun 27 17:54:30 EDT 2007

Answers  after each question

Matt Nall
All Vairs!
http://members.aol.com/patiomatt
Lots of Corvair Technical info!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Smitty Smith" <vairologist at verizon.net>

> Smitty Says:  Question # One.  Why does Spike continue to stagger on,
> running after the key is off?  Alternator conversion and standard
> ignition.  It is not "engine
run on" in the normal "poor fuel" fuel sense.  It dies as soon as the
battery disconnect is pulled.
Has it always  done this...or just started?

Power is feeding back from the reglators "exciter wire"......normally on an
"accessory"  circuit....back to the ignition circuit..

Just add a cheap 5 watt  Radio Shack type diode in that wire....   Something
may have changed in your Alt .or Reg.  to cause this to start happening, if
it didn't originally....but if it's charging correctly..... add the diode.
imo
>  Question # Two.  It has been recommended to use a solenoid controlled by
> a switch on the throttle linkage  when using a Vac Adv/ Press Retard unit
> with a turbo.  What are we trying to accomplish ?

I say it's just personal preference.......I've heard of driveability
problems without it....but most likely there is a good technical rational
behind it......just doesn't apply to ALL  Vair Turbo's engines....all
cams....etc..

I removed mine....run just Pressure retard..with recurved mechanical
advance, and a knock sensor....but it ran fine at 30 deg. BTDC  at
idle...with the Dale unit, without the switch..