<VV> re:48 mpg VW diesel...no Corvair

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Wed Jun 27 20:31:29 EDT 2007

Todd,

I've owned a few diesels and they can be lovely as turbocharged engines.   Go up in the mountains and
having full power where the gasers are down 15% or so.

VW suspenseded diesels in the US for a year to give time for the ultra low diesel fuel to replace old fuel.
One old tank of fuel and you have big problems- can't remember it was the CAT or injection system or
both.
Interest in VW diesels for A4's and A5's has been steadily increasing- think they sell about 10,000 per
year.  The Chrysler SUV with the 5 cylinder was nice in 2005-06 and since dropped.  They cited low sales
but sales exceeded their projection by a factor of 2.
CDI's are now available in lots of MB's and I believe the Grand Cherokee.

Love my Vair, but... everyday driving diesels are nice and eas(ier) to maintain.

Just thought I'd clarify.

Michael