<VV> Re: [FC] [VV] Harmonic balancers....

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Sat Jun 30 13:56:24 EDT 2007

All rotating shafts set up harmonic distortion - The distortion has peak
points where damage is accumulated. The reason the early Corvairs do not
need it is because the harmonic distortion points are not reached in
normal rotation (Let's just say, for example, the first peak distortion
point would be 6,000 rpms - obviously not an issue).

When the engine was stroked in 1964, a number of factors lowered the
peak point(s) into normal operating range. Not just the additional throw
itself (because then why would the same cu 95hp engine not need a
balancer?)  but also changes in the force due to the increased horsepower.

It seems possible that if you made substantial hp modifications to an
early 145 cu motor that you might end up with distortion issues under
normal rpms - but that has never been researched or proven. Putting a
balancer on an early motor won't hurt anything, but costs extra money
and could be a maintainance problem down the road (unless it's a dale
balancer of course).

The argument is that GM and everone else putting these much more
expensive balancers on millions of engines would not have done it if it
wasn't  necessary. Sometimes modern technology  can prove that such
things were unnecessary. But that doesn't seem the case here. It's
pretty hard to get away from real physical properties of rotating
shafts. If anything, someone may develop a much cheaper, easier way to
mitigate the problem. But, for Corvairs at least, that hasn't happened.

Lon
www.corvairunderground.com