<VV> Electric Fuel Pump Wiring Question

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sat Jun 30 21:45:05 EDT 2007

Kent,

I don't think there's a "best" way to wire in an electric fuel pump. Many
people install the pump in the front, near the gas tank, while others put it in
the back. Now I'll tell you how I set up mine....

The pump is mounted next to the heater box, on the driver's side. This was
so I could tap into the fuel line between the two metal lines. The 12 volt side
 comes from the "horrid plastic thingy" (terminal next to the battery),
through a  relay. The relay is wired so that it closes when the ignition is on.
This way  the pump only has power when the key is on. This way the pump doesn't
pressurize  your fuel line for the few seconds you have OP after the ignition
is off. Not a  big deal if your fuel system is in good shape and/or you don't
have a fuel feed  fire.

The ground side of the pump wiring goes through the Vega OP switch. As you
know, two terminals are open with pressure for the dash light, and two are
closed with pressure for the fuel pump. Holding the switch with the center spade
on top, the ground source goes to spade on the left. The center is closed
with  NO pressure and the right is open with NO pressure. You can verify this
easily  with an ohm meter. I mounted my switch to the left of the alternator.
This was  because I also have a sender for the electric OP gauge. You can see
pictures on  my web site:  (http://members.cox.net/66corvair/) then click the
silver coupe link on the left and scroll down to the OP gauge.

Ned