<VV> Here we go again...

corvairs lonwall at corvairunderground.com
Thu Mar 1 12:15:31 EST 2007

This is why we don't sell them - even though we've been asked to many
times. You cannot name any other brand of piston rings that brings up so
many strong opinions against them. For every person who will write in
and say that they work fine for them there will be one who relates a
story like the one below. We also have several members of our local club
here in Oregon who tried them and had bad experiences with them. Ever
hear that about Hastings? Deves? Sealed Power? Even Grant? Nope. Oh you
might hear an occasional unhappy person (like one out of 50) but you'll
get that with almost any brand/product and of course you never really
know whether it's the product's fault or improper installation or use on
the part of the complainer.

You could say the same about Total Seal except that there are WAY more
complaints about them - at least in Corvair engines - than "normal".
This has to be more than the occassional improper installation/use. I
don't know what the problem is. Poor quality control? Or an extremely
delicate installation/break-in procedure that frequently is done wrong?
It doesn't matter. I don't want to carry a product that has such a high
disatisfaction rate - whatever the reason.

Now there's a second point too. Total Seal rings cost a lot more than
other rings. Let's suppose there was nothing more than the usual (low)
rate of complaints against them. The question remains - are they worth
the extra money? I would say, "no" even then. I have seen NO evidence
that they work more efficiently than other rings. I have seen no
evidence that they last longer than other rings. A report of "I've used
them and they work fine" is great except that so do Grants, Hastings etc
etc etc. Where's the justification in the extra money spent?

If I were ever to sell Total Seal rings I would have to mention in my
catalog that, at the least, the rings are controversial, with almost as
many previous users who hate them than ones who think they're fine. Not
exactly a great sales pitch, but it's true.     Lon

www.corvairunderground.com