<VV> Here we go again... TS Rings

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 1 13:28:06 EST 2007

My guess as to why more folks have more problems with Total Seal rings
is that they are probably the most popular Corvair rings on the market,
ie, if some other brand were more popular, that would be the brand with
the most problems.

It ain't the rings, people, it's your ring karma -- I have always been
taught that you NEVER reuse rings, that is what glaze busters are for --
a quick cylinder wall refinish on good cylinders to seat the NEW rings
on a good used piston. Yes, there are always exceptions, so please don't
clutter the list up with them.

I don't think this is Barry's problem, though -- his 'pinging' was
probably actually some detonation problem that ate up a piston, related
to the previous damage to the pistons -- "Looks like a valve seat let
loose on all of them."

There are any number or internet articles about 'seating piston rings'
-- here's one from the North Texas Norton Owners Association,
http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm -- and there are more esoteric
things to consider, like do you use a 30° or a 45° cross hatch, a
plateau finish, gapless or coated rings?  See this AA1Car article by
Larry Carley for more info --
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/eb90329.htm

And, there is probably some specific Corvair info out there by some of
our expert Corvair authors.

But all that stuff doesn't fix a broken piston or crushed ring land ...

so, be careful out there!

Bill Strickland