<VV> Tachometer

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Mar 1 21:33:16 EST 2007

This discussion is on how to adjust a working tach; not how to repair
a tach.  A signal generator would be ideal but Tony, Lew, Fred, and
Rad are probably the only Corvair people that have one.  Most of us
have AC electricity near when working on Corvairs.  Since power
companies spend millions keeping the frequency of AC perfectly stable
at 60 hz (cycles per second to you old ee's), why not use that
standard to calibrate the tach.  The tach wire in the coil is a handy
place to insert the frequency standard.  The problem is the tach is
looking for a 6 to 15 volt pulsed DC signal and the house current is
117 volts, sine wave, AC.  Fortunately the tach has a zener diode in
the input which can change a sine wave AC to pulsed DC, so we just
need to drop the household voltage to the tach voltage.  A door bell
transformer changes 117 AC to 14 volts AC so it will work.  The
proper sized resistor in the probe will also work.  As for why 1,200
rpm?  Household voltage is 60 hz or cycles/sec.  That equates to
3,600 cycles/min.  Since the there are three sparks per crank
revolution, divide 3 into 3,600 sparks to get (tada) 1,200 rpm ;-).
Jim Davis