<VV> Re: Here we go again (Total Seal)

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Sat Mar 3 11:19:02 EST 2007

I have used the cast iron Total Seal in a normally aspirated and a turbo
application with no problems.  I have had problems with TRW moly rings not
seating, which is why I went with cast iron when I bought the Total Seal. By
the way, GM used this same type of gapless second ring "total seal" set up
in the 1960 replacement piston ring sets so I don't think one can
categorically say they are not approved for use in Corvairs.

I recommend that the fellow with the leaking turbo carbon seal replace the
seal where he has seen that he has oil in his intake. It doesn't make sense
that the increased engine vacuum is causing the problem and I would
certainly not change the engine's piston rings because the turbo is leaking
oil!  Also, you may be permitting gasoline to wash into your turbo bearing
by continuing to run the turbo with a bad carbon seal.

To the fellow who wants to temporarily disconnect the oil line while the
turbo is running, I have some good impeller shafts and a new turbo bearing
to sell to you if you do that and find that your turbo seizes at only 10,000
rpm...

Crawford Rose