<VV> Air lines - Corvair trailer

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 17:25:36 EST 2007

I want to gang together three 6" dia pipes 3-4 feet long for air cylinders located beneath the trailer floor, between the frame rails. (I can get some stainless scrap and a neighbor welder who will do them). I am going to install bungs for fittings and water drain cocks.  It would be easier if I could use flexible lines between the cylinders rather than a hard manifold.  Will braided brake lines hold air? Or is there a suitable alternative? I could make up short rubber lines out of air hose. I really want to make it as tight as possible so it won't leak down (or leak down much).  I intend to fill the tank up at home, and replenish the air used at an event with a small 12v (cigarette lighter plug-type compressor) like sold at Pep Boys or Wally World (one has a shut off when reaching a pre-set pressure). I will run a typical air hose female quick release fitting to the edge of the trailer.

Why? At the track, one less thing to carry down the length of the paddock (to the tire guy or track air line) and fill an air bottle. On-board air.  Neat.

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks

Chuck S