<VV> Air lines - Corvair trailer

vair65 at netzero.net vair65 at netzero.net
Sat Mar 10 20:36:52 EST 2007

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas?Comments!
First off Ron is right, you should consider an ASME Section VIII Division 1 pressure vessel.  However I think (would have to check the code book) you are under the size required to be "U" stamped under  the code.  With that said I would still want to use code certified welders, materials, and have code calculations done (simple for me) just to cover oneself.  Air in tank can be very dangerous!  I have pictures of a tank (Large) that landed on the roof of a building (several stories up) when the bottom failed!  Compressed air in tanks can be very dangerous!
Second point.  In order to fill the volume of air that you are talking about using that little 12V supply compressor, can you say ALL DAY (at least a good portion of it).  And this is if it didn't burn up before you reached pressure.
Third idea:  Why not go with either a gas run air compressor or an electric air compressor using a generator.  I think I would go with the electric air compressor and be able to run other gadgets with the generator, like a fan to keep cool on hot days or small refrigerator to keep a 6-pack cool.
Just my two cents worth,
Keith Hammett (Pressure Vessel Design Engineer)