<VV> Engine rebuild issues:Reduex

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 11 00:11:03 EST 2007

Just got in from a fairly rare "date night" - Wild Hogs is a great movie,
btw.

So, it was beautiful day here in SC.  We were supposed to get rain about
lunch time, but it never showed.  High hit about 70 - _perfect_.  Tried to
get my engine as far along as I could.  I put in about 8 hours on the engine
in total.

While torqueing down the 2nd head, pulled a upper head stud at 25lbs.
<frackin' 40 yr old aluminum>  This is at least the 4th on that side, all
uppers.  Already had the lower baffle on both so couldn't count the bottoms.
  There are none on the other side.

Luckily, I bought the timeserts tools and spares last time - still have them
in the tool box.  It only set me back about 2 hours instead of a week.
(pull the head, pull the piston/jug, drill, countersink, tap, find red
sealant, install timesert, install headstud, reinstall head - right arm was
toast after all that - heck, I'm just a computer geek M-F)  I couldn't get a
T-handle tool to work with the other head studs in the way.  Kept it pretty
straight with a 7/16" wrench and 1/4 turns though.

If all goes well tomorrow, she might run by late afternoon barring rain.
Good thing - I'm event master for the econorun next Sunday.  It would be bad
if I have to lead in a water pumper.

Barry Ellison in SC, but not Myrtle Beach, the only Ellison Family to stay
behind it seems, but I've obviously got work to do.
Working on the Black Buzzard Beater frantically
P.S. cut up all my metal for a rotisserie this week, too.  Can't wait to
find time to weld that baby together for my next project, a running titled
64 Coupe, that I basically traded a non-running lawn mower for.  :)