<VV> Convention (or most any) Hotel

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 13 01:02:37 EST 2007

This is slightly off topic, so will keep fairly brief.

It seems highly irregular to ask for COPIES (both sides) of a credit card.
About 2 months ago (Chicago), a number of hotel managers were rounded up in
a police raid on identity theft charges.

I don't know what that particular scam was, but shortly thereafter I heard
news warnings about NOT to leave your hotel key card behind when you check
out.  Apparently, the magnetic strip on that card contains personal
information - including credit card numbers (for sure) and I don't know what
else (home address, DL #, License Plate, make of car, other?).  Someone with
the correct reader is able to capture that information and put it to their
own (nefarious) use.  So, consider the warning when and wherever you might
travel.

Later, JR
Booked my room without giving up either a check or copies of anything.

PS...  Dave understood, and I thought it was clear...  my BS comment related
to the hotel and not to him.

PPS...   Harry is checking into the matter at hand, so further discussion
here on the specific instance would seem (to me anyway) unwarranted.