<VV> Road Trip Update #2

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 16 19:01:13 EST 2007

Hi guys/gals,

Just had a call from Jon at 5:15PM CDS time.  He just gassed up in Rolla,
MO.  Not using any oil.  Gauges are flaky - probably a bad ground.  He has a
Corsa dash and the only instrument that is working reliably is the speedo.
He's been running at an indicated 70mph, but he's got some BA tires on
there, so I'm not sure how accurate that might be. We fixed that speedo
(select used head) just before he left.  Good thing.

He sometimes encounters starting problems and attributes it to at least one
accelerator pump gone bad.  I'm not sure if his diagnosis is correct, but it
would not surprise me to find a problem with that since the car basically
sat for 3 years or more before he started this trip.  I got it started,
added 3.2 gallons of fresh gas (all it would take) and drove it about 10 -
15 miles before he arrived in IL.  He burned about 1/2 tank out while here -
then filled up and hit the road.

Ambient temp in the 50s - a good thing since he has no lower shrouds and the
heater blower is useless.

Engine fan blower is getting noisy.  We'll see how that goes.  Anyone along
the way have one of those grease tools for the fan bearing?

Original plan was to make Oklahoma City tonight, but an adjustment might be
required for Tulsa instead.  If the temp drops too much and/or the dash
lights give up completely, that will be "plan B" for tonight.

He is supposed to give me a call once he parks for the night.  If I hear
from him, I'll relay the update to you folks.

Thanks for tuning in!

Later, JR