<VV> Disc brake kit review

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Sat Mar 17 18:24:32 EST 2007

I purchased David Clemens' front disc brake kit at the Performance Workshop
in Dayton. The kit comes with everything, except the master cylinder. Rotors,
calipers, pads, mounting brackets and all the necessary hardware. The master
cylinder is readily available from a local auto parts store and cost me  $16.

David's instructions are complete and easy to follow. You do have to turn
the hubs but that wasn't hard for me at all. My buddy, Terry Kalp, took a set of
 hubs, that I pulled off one of his parts cars, to the auto shop in the
school  where he works. All I had to do was paint them.

I took my time and spent just a couple hours working on the project after
work. I had everything wrapped up in just a couple nights. The total time was
only about 6 hours (but then I also replaced the spindles).

I know than many folks will say the stock brakes are just fine and I would
have to agree. The brakes I removed did not pull and stopped the car just fine.
 I wanted the disc brakes, mostly, because they look cool. The pedal does
move a  bit more (as mentioned in the instruction) but it is still good and hard.
I  think I might be able to modulate them better than the drums. I did a
'panic  stop' from 30 and 40. The brakes performed great. I did not lock up any
wheels  (guess I wasn't 'panicked" enough).

I only have one question for David...Do you have a kit for rear  brakes?

Ned