<VV> RE: converting taillights on early

Eric Holz ericmpholz at verizon.net
Sun Mar 18 14:50:15 EST 2007

Does anyone have an experience in converting the backup lights in an early
into brake/turn signal lights.

The idea here is to have four brake lights instead of two and two turn
signals flashing in the rear instead of one.

Yes, I realize I'll lose the backup lights, but it seems a fair trade.

Specifically, is it just a matter of paralleling the wiring of the existing
brake/turn lights and using a heavy duty flasher, or is there a lot more to
it than that?

Also, has anyone put a Bradley GT kitcar body on a Corvair, or will it only
fit a VW.

Thanks in advance
Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert

Arjay,

On My 63 convert, I could not "just change" the light assemblies. There is a
panel close to the hole on the inner(back up) assys.  The outer
(stop-tail-turn) bulbs are installed straight (horizontal), which make them
deeper than the inners which have bulbs that install on an angle(shallower).
When I changed the back up lights to running lights, I Tagged a line from
the "parking" light section of the stop-tail-turn light to the backup light.
This gave me 4 parking lights, but it still has 2 brake lights.  Other than
getting 2 more lenses, I had to get a "dimmer" bulb instead of the 1156.  I
THINK it is a 1129, but I'm not sure.  I'll pull one if you need to know.

Eric Holz
'63 vert