<VV> Engine Temperature Issue

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Mar 20 22:07:15 EST 2007

Frank DuVal inserts comments below:

Luke Duddridge wrote:

>Hello All,
>

>I would appreciate some guidance with my vair.  It is a 150 hp '64' Turbo Spyder.  You guys have given me some pretty good answers up to now, so I am opting for another dip into your well of knowledge.
>

>It seems to be running okay with the exception that, to me, it's running very hot.  On a cool spring day, In normal traffic, driving at about 50 to 55 MPH the cylinder head temperature rises to 400 degrees.  It may ultimately get higher and I am not giving it time to do so.  I've had the car for 9 months and I am still in the rebuilding process, so I don't yet drive it far or for very long.
>

>After it gets that warm it gets the vapors and faints when I stop for traffic.  Now, that maybe that I have the idle speed set to low and I'm just not sure.
>

>What I'd like to know is:
>
>1.     Is 400 degrees abnormal?

400 to 425 °F is absolutely normal for my 64 Spyder Convertible at 55
mph. It can run at 500 °F if I push it hard while driving on the
interstate. It can peg the gage (600 °F) while climbing mountains in 4th
gear with the foot on the floor. But I only did that once!!!!! "What's
that pinging noise?" People with Corsas never report as high a running
temperature.

>2.     If it's abnormal any suggestions as to where to look for the problem? I've checked the belt it's good and the fan turns freely.

Do make sure the hot air recirculation plates are installed so hot air
is not going right back into the engine compartment. These are the
plates at the rear of the engine with white lettering on them.  Repair
the rubber engine air seals if they are missing.

>3.     I currently have the idle speed set at 800 rpm is that to low??

Turn it up to 850 and see if the stalling goes away.

>4.     What's the correct idle speed?

According to the 64 Shop manual, 850 RPM.