<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 26, Issue 66

Padgett pp3 at 6007.us
Wed Mar 21 15:23:27 EST 2007

At 03:42 PM 3/21/2007, you wrote:
>It seems to be running okay with the exception that, to me, it's running
>very hot.  On a cool spring day, In normal traffic, driving at about 50 to
>55 MPH the cylinder head temperature rises to 400 degrees.  It may
>ultimately get higher and I am not giving it time to do so.  I've had the
>car for 9 months and I am still in the rebuilding process, so I don't yet
>drive it far or for very long.

Two things will cause overheating as you describe (no idea of real temp,
going by symptoms)
1) insufficient advance
2) lean mixture (have seen exhaust pipes glow).

Is the reason I have 52 jets in my 110/PG and accept 18-22 mpg.

Not sure how to compare (SAE papers indicate 100F difference) but at 70 mph
on a warm Florida day (90ish) I run 280-300F at the spark plugs (#2 and #5
instrumented). Idles smoothly at 650 in D/850 N - not real difference after
it passes 150F.

Apparently the turbo distributor has no vacuum advance which I would think
would make it run hotter at cruise.

Padgett

Padgett

Padgett