<VV> towing a LM Vair vert

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Mar 21 22:13:53 EST 2007

Roger

For the record, i've never heard of a windshield coming out of a towed car
backwards on a dolly (LM).

However, I was going down the road in a friends LM 2dr one hot summer day,
all side windows down, and suddenly the car seemed to get quiet----and I
turned around to see the backlite glass kind of wafting on the wind, until
its weight took over and it hit the road, smashing into a zillion shards.
We were at least a tenth or 2 of a mile away--going about 60mph when it
happened.

Considering that, anything is possible.

I do recommend as you do, flat towing or trailer.

I towed my first corvair flat with a rental tow bar, from Hammond, LA to
Buffalo---about 1200 miles, with no problems.  If it's a manual,
Just start it up when gassing up the tow vehicle and run the shifter through
the pattern. ( I remember reading this tip somewhere), If a PG I'm not sure
if there's anything special you must do. But its much safer.  Tow vehicle
was a 10 year old Chevy truck with a snowplow rig on the front.  Got asked
what it was in Alabama.  70 mph and you would never know the Vair was behind
you.  Worked out great, and the rental on a towbar is less than a dolly.

Hank