<VV> color blind...

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Mar 25 15:14:57 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron" <ronh at owt.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> color blind...

> It's quite safe to say that over 99% of all cooling in a Corvair engine is
> by convection.
> RonH
*************
Hey, it's a team effort .. first of course a lot of heat ( energy )  is
jammed down the tailpipe (g) ... and a fair bit is used in trying to throw
the pistons thru the heads, gall the bearings, and outrunning the valve
train ....
.......  but every bit of the rest has to be
* conducted * to the outer surface area of the engine, where it is
* radiated * a few millimeters ( metric heat that is ) out into the
immediate space, where it is
* convected * away by friendly breezes . ( such as the main fan , the heater
fan in a pinch, and also the 92 miles an hour road speed breeze from my
fastest  stocker vair .... )

***********
As I mention ever few weekends, my belief is that the logjam is  " not
enuff" surface area ... ie not enough cooling fin area ...
...... the amount of heat radiated is proportional to the absolute
temperatrues of the two meda
.......with current materials, it would not be good to double the
temperature Kelvin just to achieve more energy transfer .(g)...
........BUT ,,, heat transfer from radiation is proportional to the surface
area ....so , it seems to me that the trick here is to increase that ...
say, 100 or 1000 times .....
********
Bet then we could reduce the horsepower that we are throwing at the cooling
problem on a race engine .... maybe cut the hp used in half .... the same
train cargo car doesnt care if it is hauling cold coal or hot coal ... same
power used to convect ... er, I mean * move * it.

*********
Stay cool, foks,
ken campbell, assuming room temperature in Iowuu