<VV> Removing (and installing) oil pick up from the crankcase

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 27 08:57:23 EST 2007

It's easy enough to tap it out using a socket - you won't need any heat.

Going back in is more of a challenge, since there's no good place to pound
on it and it's hard to judge the correct angle.  I usually use an open end
wrench over the tube, pushing on the raised ring that stops the tube from
going too far up into the block.  I just tap on the wrench until the tube
starts into the hole.  Once it's started, it usually goes in pretty easily
and you can usually pound (lightly) on the end of the pickup.  Awkward.  I
cool mine in a glass of icewater, but I think that just makes me feel better
rather than actually helping.

Roger