<VV> Replacing rusty floors in convertibles

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Mar 28 14:22:45 EST 2007

At 05:39 PM 3/27/2007, Frank DuVal wrote:

>Tony Underwood wrote:
>

>>It's always been my experience that the rust-free car is the one
>>you would restore, NOT parting it to save something that's rusty.
>>
>>Floors?    If you wanna get serious enough to start replacing floor
>>panels, you should be serious enough to buy about 20 bucks worth of
>>sheet metal hammers and dollies and shape your own floor panels for
>>those places that nobody else makes parts for, and no, there's
>>nobody reproducing the whole pan.   There *are* partial panels
>>available though, and it's really not that hard to hammer out
>>custom replacement panels to repair the areas for which nobody
>>makes reproductions.
>>

>>tony..
>
>Which is why no one reproduces them yet. No demand. When the floor
>stampings became available, Cal Clark was wondering if he would sell
>enough to pay for the reproduction.

Ya know, with the prices that some outfits get for stamped repro
front/rear floor pans for things like Chevelles or Camaros or
Mustangs or B-body Mopars etc ad nauseam, I wondered if it wouldn't
pay to make a couple of concrete forms from a donor vehicle and pay
somebody 15 bucks an hour to take a rubber mallet to a couple of
sheets of metal and beat them out the way the Ferrari guys do
it.    Only they get paid more.

I've done it for partial floor pan sections, worn out several rubber
mallets.   Hey, it's the mark of a jackleg.   Use it up, wear it out,
make it do or do without.   I'd kinda like to get more educated as a
metal wright just so I could make things that I can't find anywhere
else or can't afford... ;)    Hell, I'd settle for knowing just
enough so as to not be dangerous to life and limb.

tony..