<VV> 64 Engine - Performance Wanted

David McMillan dmac632000 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 11:45:41 EST 2007

Replace the coil.

----- Original Message ----
From: D. Barry Ellison <bars84crx at hotmail.com>
To: VirtualVairs at corvair.org
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:48:38 AM
Subject: <VV> 64 Engine - Performance Wanted

Again, this 64 engine is a dog.  Symptom is that when it's cold, it runs
pretty good.  As soon as it warms up, nothing - won't get out of it's own
way, literally has a hard time going up my SC rolling hills.

Other Specs and things I've checked: idles pretty good, cranks pretty good,
vacuum advance works and holds, MSD ignition with points as the trigger,
distributor weights working freely and installed correctly, distributor
plate good, timing set with a light, 92 octane and zero pinging, zero
run-on, new wires, ULTRA plugs (prob not 5k miles on them - came from the
140 engine), rebuilt carbs that seem to be working okay (noticed a drilled
hole in one of them yesterday which is now plugged, just above the lower nut
- water injection?), choke pulloffs set and operate properly, choke's pull
off properly.

Best we can come up with: she needs bigger jets...it's got 50's.  (warms up,
chokes open, more air, not enough fuel)  I've got 53's and 55's in my
pocket.  I'll be autocrossing this weekend and she's a daily driver for the
short term after that. Which would you use and why?  Will it help?  Is 55
too big?  Don't want to do it but once, but will do it twice if necessary.
Logic dictates I put in the 55's and if it fails, I should put in the 53's.

Anything I missed?

Thanks!

Barry in SC
Getting ready for St. Augustine 2 day autocross, then on to Seaworld and
Universal for Spring Break.
Good news is : the 64 has stopped smoking completely.  Just needed to be
driven!