<VV> Mike Hubert Megasquirt Questions

John Maxwell jmaxwell2 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 29 19:43:25 EST 2007

Mike,

A couple of items.  I posted a response to your Megasquirt questions to
Fastvair by mistake.  Ray Sedman saw the post and emailed that he would like
to respond to your questions, but is not a member of VV.  He would like to
discuss the topic off line and his address is-

rsedman at american-pi.com

My incorrectly posted response below-

The Megasquirt II system is very capable and for the price can't be beat.
Keep in mind this is DIY - DO IT YOURSELF.  Part of the cost of commercial
systems is the purchase of technical support.  Alternatively, the Megasquirt
community is very helpful.  The Megasquirt II system has been out quite a
while now. The documentation is much better and there is a much bigger
experience base.  MS has been designed to be VERY universal and that makes
all the options somewhat difficult to sort out.  The good news here is, the
primary emphasis is on GM sensors and ignition.  If you stay in box for the
more common options, and aren't easily discouraged, you'll get good results.
Also, stay in the box for the recommended injector sizing, it will save a
lot of headache.  A friend tried to go with really big injectors and the
default PID control settings caused some instability.  These settings can be
adjusted, but it adds another level of complexity.

I would suggest buying an assembled unit and I think that may the only way
now.  The comment you got on the temperature sensor is important to
consider.  If you get documentation as to the resistance as a function of
temperature, it will make setup a lot easier.  Otherwise, you may have to
calibrate it yourself.  NAPA/Echlin has a lot of that sort of information
for their aftermarket sensors (if you can find somebody with enough sense
and care).

One thing that wasn't mentioned is the self-tuning software.  If you have
the wideband O2, the software will tune as you drive.

John Maxwell