<VV> Disappointing gas tank leak, brakes, looks

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Tue May 1 14:28:13 EDT 2007

It must have been 8-10 years ago now, that I drained, cleaned, and coated
the gas tank in my 65 Corsa.  It was last tagged in 1980 when I bought it
about 1996.  Yes, it sat that long.

After getting it running (for the 4th time) a few weeks back, I took it to
work, filled it up, went inside to pay.  Came out, there's 3' diameter wet
spot centered under the front of the car.  I knew I didn't spill any.  It
was pretty obvious it was coming out of the top of the tank.  I figured one
of the 2 rubber hoses connecting to the filler tube were shot.  I've been
driving it for several weeks now w/o event.  When I got gas, I was careful
to not put in too much.

I got froggy this weekend and went after it.  They were both pliable.  No
visible rust on top.  Couldn't get to them very well, so I pulled the whole
tank.  Tubes looked REALLY good but I took them to my FLAPS for new
anyhow,"while I was in there".  I got this from the guy behind the
counter..."We don't carry either of those sizes."  ROFL... but not at the
time.  Heck, the vent tube was 7/16".  Why wouldn't they have that?

I decided to put a little air pressure to the tank.  I put some spittle
where the vent tube attaches to the tank, plugged the filler hole with a
rag, and put air into the vent tube - low and behold, it bubbled.  I mixed
some epoxy together, poured it on, reinstalled same tubes, reinstalled tank,
filled her up the next day.  So far, it's held.

So, do I have more leaks coming?  Is it rusting from the inside out due to
water in the tank?  Anomaly?  Incorrect/cheap materials used at that joint?
Otherwise, the tank looks brand new from the outside.  No evidence of long
term leaks.

I replaced my brake lines w/SS braided while I was there.  My right one must
have stopped up - pulled to the L on the 1st hard brake, then stopped
straight for next x consecutive stops.  Hits me each time I got off the
interstate, which is 4 times a day.

I saw a guy almost lose control of his truck coming at me head on this
morning.  1st he pointed at me to get my attention...then a big thumbs up
out the front then the side windows.  :)

Even got a thumbs up from a guy in a really sweet 69 camaro this morning.

Ahhh, the Corvair Smile.

Barry in SC
2 lates, 2 earlies, but weeding the flock - just about have the wife
convinced to drive the convertible if we make sure the A/C is working.  :)
She looks good in it, too.  Red 65 Vert with Black int, black top, wife has
medium jet black hair to blow in the breeze.  (But then, she looks good any
other time, too.)