<VV> Re: Revisionists vs. Purists vs Customs -

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Wed May 2 08:56:16 EDT 2007

Now you sound like those snobby Corvette people, Chuck. In the Corvair
world, it has been standard practice NOT to insist on an "as DELIVERED"
status when talking stock class. Note that we have only insisted on
factory-available and/or dealer-installed factory-approved accessories.
This is because it has only been until recently that we could not decode
the body tags, and even now that we are cracking that code, it only
covers the Fisher Body-installed HALF of the possible options. So unlike
the Corvette guys (who HAVE access to the original car shippers), we
couldn't insist on an "as delivered" status even if we wanted to.

As far as accessories that are added after-build, as long as they are
genuine factory-available options or factory-approved dealer-installed
GM accessories, CORSA and the SCG will view them as pure stock. Where
the SCG differs is that we are particularly interested in preserving
original equipment, be it factory-installed or correctly installed
later. Factory-installed equipment offers verification that any added
item is correct and correctly installed, and it is that verification
factor that is our focus. The fact that an original accessory has been
installed correctly on a proper recipient car only allows such
accessories to be preserved, and the preservation of it is also an
important focus of the SCG.

So what I have done with my 4door is certainly well within the focus of
even the SCG. I have managed not only to preserve an original car, but
to preserve a number of original options as well, and to make sure they
are correctly installed. Anyone examining the car will therefore be
seeing exactly how the factory would have built such a car with those
accessories. No snobbery needed, just a healthy respect for what the
factory was doing.

-Mark