<VV> Was:Purists Vs. Customs, PLUS...NOW: Ugliest Corvair Option

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Wed May 2 12:03:29 EDT 2007

Eric,
Of all the factory options I have seen, (I was 13 when the Corvair came out), I find there are few things offered that I found ugly. My choice for ugliest or oddest looking, would be the station wagon styled roof rack that was put on some early 4 door sedans. Now that I own an early 4 door, I see the true value of that rare option....But I would not put one on my car.
That rack lends a very European look to the sedan. It reminds me of the many small cars I saw when I was stationed in Spain. Small, economical sedans stuffed with family with suitcases and such piled high on roof racks. Fiats, Seats, Citroen 2CV's.
One of the oddest things I ever saw was a continental kit on the back of a Spyder Convertable. I have no idea who made it, but a guy I went to high school with had it on his car. He was one of the poor little rich kids in school. His dad owned a pharmacy.
Bob Johnston
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72
Corvair Minnesota