<VV> Welded vs. Bolted flywheels

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Thu May 3 16:05:45 EDT 2007

---- Dennis FullerFuller <fullerhotshotz at yahoo.com> wrote:
Is there really a problem with welded flywheels, or is this a myth propagated by the "flywheel bolters"

Hell, I'm just an Ignorant Polack. In 20 years of Corvairs I've never seen a "welded flywheel".  Seen lots of riveted ones that needed bolting. Never used a solid, could be only for racing.  I always replace a riveted with a bolted.

GM SHOULD have bolted them together. Rivets was a fast and CHEAP way of securing the pieces together.  One of the problems with Corvairs was the costs of engineering was running the cost up on an "Economy Compact".  Same reason I was told there's no Park Pin on PG's.  When you're going to run several hundred thousand cars in a given model year, and you can save 50 cents on a park pin, and probably 15.00 on labor, bolts, nuts and washers on a flywheel, that stuff adds up FAST.

One thing for sure, a re-surfaced, balanced, bolted flywheel isn't going to give you problems for longer than you'll probably own the car, or in many cases, LIVE.
So if you're already in there, why not?

If your welded has held you in good stead all these years, and resurfacing will not throw the piece under spec, I'd still use it.

Hank