<VV> Welded vs. Bolted flywheels

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu May 3 17:54:39 EDT 2007

In the early days, welding was the first fix tried. As I understand it,
the only problem with welding is that it's difficult to do it and
maintain a good balance job. Hence, someone came up with the idea of
replacing the rivets with bolts and self-locking nuts, and the "bolted
flywheel" was born.

If one can weld the flywheel and still maintain its balance, I'd say
there's nothing wrong with it.

-Mark