<VV> Valve Seat Fit - VERY rough calculations

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 3 18:13:16 EDT 2007

I don't know what the alloy used in the heads is, but it's probably got a
compressive yield strength of somewhere around 25-30 ksi.  At 450F, it's
probably about half  to 2/3 of that.  If you run one of the interference fit
calculators that you can find on the web, you'll find that for a seat
diameter of 1.75 (guess for a 140 intake), 15-20 ksi will only support about
.004" of interference before the head material begins to yield.  So, heat it
up good one time and that's all the press you have.  Lose concentration at
the same time you lose a belt and run it up to 550 or so and.......

Of course, at operating temperature the head expands faster than the seat,
and about .003" of that press goes away.  I wonder why we have a problem?
;-)  Maybe we should try BeCu.

Roger