<VV> Welding Flywheels

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu May 3 19:47:02 EDT 2007

From: Charles Cromwell
Subject: Re: Welded vs. Bolted flywheels
I welded many flywheels while working for a dealer.
Never had a problem.
  Smitty Says:  That is incomplete information Chuck.  Did you use something common like 6013 or did you use a high nickel rod ?  You say something like that and we idiots of VV get the idea that any of us with a buzz box and a fist full of some kind of rod can do the job.  Where did you weld them ?  Around the outside edge or inside the weight ring facing ?  Or on the back side too.  I have considered doing that in the past but knowing the dissimilar alloys involved was never comfortable enough to try it.