<VV> Re: Welded flywheels

nicolcs at aol.com nicolcs at aol.com
Fri May 4 09:31:01 EDT 2007

I've run both welded and bolted flywheels with good success.  My '66 EFI car has had one for about eight years, only because I originally started that project on a budget (now exceeded by about 5x-oops!).  Success depends on the shop doing the work because the metals don't weld readily.  I had one ruined years ago by a shop that didn't know how to do it.  Once welded, they must be rebalanced and trued.  I don't think I'll take the welded approach again though.  AFIR, once the flywheel has been welded, that's it, meaning it can no longer be bolted so if the guy screws it up, it's headed to the dumpster.  Yes, it's cheaper but you risk ending up with a large paperweight.