<VV> RE: Steering Box Lube

iscdirector iscdirector at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 11:13:47 EDT 2007

I do repairs / service on semi-trailers for a living. We use a liquefied synthetic grease like Chevron Delo SF or Mobil Mobilinth in hubs to lubricate wheel bearings instead of gear oil or traditional wheel bearing grease that must be packed by hand. It is excellent stuff for steering boxes as it will actually run and eventually sort of puddle while also staying inside of bearings like a chassis grease. We pump it into hubs with the same pump as is used for gear oil even though it is much thicker. It is available in smaller containers that would make sense for working on small jobs like an occasional steering box job.

Phil <philandcaroll at worldnet.att.net> wrote: I do know that Mercedes was still using a recirculating ball steering box
until fairly recently, and may still be. The Chrysler Crossfire for example
has a box, anyone think to check at the Chrysler place?

Phil

Max, '64 Spyder Convertible