<VV> Fan, alternator or pulley?

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun May 6 13:15:50 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/6/2007 1:33:43 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
guusdehaan at wanadoo.nl writes:

Every  now and then there is some whine from the parts that are driven
by  the fan belt. I haven't been able to locate what it is but it's
definitely in either the fan, alternator or pulley. Rotating each of
them by hand doesn't give me a clue which one has a problem. Anybody
got any pointers on positively locating the noisy (and faulty)  one?

Regards,

Guus de Haan

Hi Guus,
Good to hear from you. A whine sounds like it might be the alternator. I
don't know of a good way to determine this though (other than replacement). To
check the blower bearing, remove the belt and with your hand give  the blower a
good push to set it rotating.Then carefully watch it as it  slows down. It
should come to a gradual stop and NOT stop abruptly or tend to  slightly reverse
direction as it stops. Repeat, turning the blower in the  opposite direction.
The idler pulley can be checked the same way.
A piece of garden hose can be used to listen for sounds while the engine is
running.
Regards,
Bob Helt