<VV> valves

CorvairEd at aol.com CorvairEd at aol.com
Tue May 8 15:34:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/6/2007 9:40:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
computerwhiz31 at gmail.com writes:

I need  to set my valves. Can anyone explain this for me. i looked online,
but  couldn't find anything. any home-techniques that anyone uses. I need  to
know so i don't bend my valves... again

Jon,
Here is the way I adjust Corvair lifters in all versions of the  engine.
Follow the manual for positioning the piston/crankshaft into the  proper position
and adjust the valves in the order it specifies.  Or you  can position the #1
piston to TDC firing and adjust both valves  then turn the crankshaft to the
next piston firing which would be #4  etc.

The method of adjusting is as follows.  The new lifters,  regardless of
manufacturer, must be set at one half turn beyond zero lash  rather than the deeper
adjustment specified in the manual for the original type  lifters.  This is
because the new lifters have much less internal piston  travel than the
original lifters.  Adjust the rocker down slowly while you  have your hand on the
rocker and wiggle it slightly till it becomes hard to  wiggle it.  Then turn the
pushrod between you thumb and index finger and  continue to tighten the rocker
nut till the ability to turn the pushrod becomes  very difficult.  Now try to
push the rocker hard against the pushrod very  hard.  This is to insure the
lifter is seated against the camshaft.   If you have the oil pan off, visually
check to make sure you have all of the  poshrods centered in the lifter
pockets.  If the pushrod is still hard to  rotate, give the rocker nut one half turn
tighter (clockwise) to set the  lash.  Once this is done on all valves run
the engine at 2000 rpm for about  10 minutes or drive the car at least 10 miles
then listen to the valves.   They should be quiet now.  If you find a valve to
be noisy, this indicates  you missed the adjustment or you have a bad lifter.
 I've had this happen  on a set of new lifters.  Nothing is perfect.
Determine the valve  that is noisy and adjust that one with the engine running.  To
make  adjusting with the engine running, jack the car up on that side and place
jack  stands under that side.  This makes the oil run away that head and you
get  less spillage.  If that does not eliminate the noise, replace that lifter
 and readjust that lifter as above.

I hope this helps.

Ed Corson  (CORSA member)
Inland Empire Corvair  Club