<VV> "low mileage" Corvairs and any vehicle old enough to

Padgett pp3 at 6007.us
Thu May 10 22:01:19 EDT 2007

>>  Dividing milage by age mostly becomes a meaningless intellectual
>> curiosity after about 10 or 15 years

That is a farce. What I said was that three things contribute to
deterioration: age, mileage, and exposure. Each contributes to different
things and in different ways. They do not really combine. Frankly, there
are a number of things underneath that would worry me about a 40 (or 20 or
10 for that matter) year old car with 10,000 miles. Condition is everything
and condition is only somewhat related to age or mileage.

Now in the 1960's people figured a car was worn out at 100,000. I built a
number of 100,000 mile engines into race engines as long as everything
miked good. Today 200,000 is more the norm and any engine that grenades
under 100,000 probably had something wrong from the factory if kept within
design limits.

It happens, I have a 90 3800 block in my garage that dropped the center cam
bearings at 85,000/nine years old that was carefully maintained and never
abused (have heard of a few other '90s doing the same thing) but is an
anomaly IMNSHO. I still consider the 3800 to be nearly bulletproof.

When looking for a used car, 10 years or older, I generally seek ones in
the 50,000 to 70,000 mile range. Of course even my daily driver only uses
about a tank a month so such last me a long time. But what I really look
for is overall condition. Age and mileage are just factors but far from the
most important.

Padgett