<VV> re: drivetrain removal for newbies!

Ray Rodriguez reray at echoes.net
Fri May 11 14:41:48 EDT 2007

Steve,

     I asked this very same question here about nine months ago!  I was advised to use the instructions in "How to Keep your Corvair Alive" and they worked very well for me.  This was the very first time I've taken an engine out of a car by myself and I had no trouble with following the instructions in this book. There is also apparently a video available from Clarks, but I didn't need it after reading through these instructions.

     Be prepared for a whole lot of "since you've gone this far you might as well go one step farther" type of stuff, I originally pulled the engine to clean and paint the shrouds and engine compartment, and reseal the lifter tubes...... next week I'm splitting the cases to install a cam because.......  "since I've gone this far I might as well take the next step"!  The only thing I'm not doing is pulling the pistons from the jugs or the crank from the block.  It's been a surprisingly pleasant experience aside from the top row of head bolts (didn't back any studs out but man was it scary even on a non-rusty engine!)

Ray Rodriguez