<VV> steering box lube

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 13 13:09:25 EDT 2007

You may also try Pennzoil 302, 705 or Penrite 5BL. This off the internet: look up 'steering box lube'

Richard Widman <richard at widman.biz> wrote:   Lubriplate 105 is nothing more than a mineral oil grease with calcium soap
in a #0 consistency with a ZDDP anti-wear additive package. Calcium gives
it water resistance (good for outboards) which isn't really required for the
steering box.

I haven't put my Vair together yet, but will try a #0 EP grease. A standard
grease is #2, softer is #1, etc.

I do not sell Chevron, but have their catalog in front of me. Options for
good EP #0 greases in Chevron are:

Black Pearl Grease EP-0

Delo Grease EP-0

Duralith Grease EP-0

Ulti-plex Grease EP-0

Ultra Duty Grease EP-0

I will probably use the Ulti-plex, as I have a pail of it. Its high
viscosity base oil is good for slow moving parts.

Richard Widman

www.widman.biz