<VV> bumper brackets - silly me

Shaun McGarvey shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca
Sun May 13 13:10:53 EDT 2007

All black. You are correct, Sir!

yea, Vairily... Shaun

----- Original Message -----
From: <mhicks130 at cox.net>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2007 5:53 PM
Subject: <VV> bumper brackets - silly me

OK, first of all, you have to understand my car is NOT a show car.  It's
basically stock but not completely and I'm not a slave to stockiness.  Now
having said that:

Today I finally got around to repainting the front bumper brackets.  My car
is red and they were blue and rusty.  So I took the bumper off no sweat, but
some of the SS carriage bolts had nuts so rusty they snapped.  Ah poo, now I
gotta wait for an order from the vendors.  But wait, I'll check the local
True Value and see what they've got.  It took 2 trips but I ended up with
some stainless carriage bolts that polished up nice and fit.  I also
replaced the nuts and washers with SS stuff.  I wire brushed the bejeebers
out of the brackets to get the rust and blue paint off and repainted them
with some Rustoleum red primer and some Semi Glooss Black.  They look nice
now.  I thought about POR15 but then I'd have to hastle with top-coating.
But here's the thing, you only see them if you're lying on the ground
looking up at the bottom of the bumper.  So why did I waste most of day
doing this?  The rust was kinda bad but what motivated me the most was that
they were blue.  I think my brain is just a bit goofy.

For stockiness sake, are the bumper brackets supposed to be body color or
semi-gloss black?  I like the black but I'm curious.  Also, is the front
license plate supposed to be body color or blac?  Mine is currently body
color but as long as I'm down there.....

I told my wife that before I'm done every fastener on that car will be
stainless steel (except for the ones that HAVE to be grade 8 - take it easy
you guys).

mikeH (losing his mind in southeast VA)
the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org