<VV> Used 12 plate oil cooler - not so cool

Jack Kean villahaven-products at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 18:34:08 EDT 2007

Interesting problem that anyone who has rebuilt an engine has faced. This last time, I heated up some oil (OK. It was synthetic, but that hardly matters) to 300 degrees (used my Coleman stove and a candy thermometer (sacrificed for the cause)) and using a bulb baster filled the oil cooler up. Then plugged the holes, shook it around, and poured the oil out. I repeated this exercise until the oil drained out reasonably clean. I'm not sure it would ever get pristine, but it was pretty clean at the end. I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but like anything else, someone else's time and energy usually costs money, and who to know better than you, that the cooler is clean? Anyway, try that. You probably will not be surprised what comes out of it the first few times. But, eventually, it will clean out.

jack kean

--don't forget all of the precautions when dealing with hot oil and open flames. I'm sure the neighbors would have been nervous had they known what that crazy man was doing across the street.