<VV> Cylinder base gaskets?

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 15 15:55:59 EDT 2007

Ray,
The base gaskets should be fine.

Roger

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Rodriguez" <reray at echoes.net>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 2:33 PM
Subject: <VV> Cylinder base gaskets?

Well, I'm with another question.....

     My heads are currently off, and since I didn't have the foresight to
prevent it my friend turned the crank.. unseating most of the cylinder jugs.
Will the jug base gaskets be fine when I retorque the heads, or do I now
need to unbolt the con rods from the crank, pull each jug and re-gasket?
I've gone to a lot of effort to avoid oil leaks on this engine and I have a
clarks "complete engine" gasket set so I might even have the replacements on
hand....  I just hate to unbolt the bottom end for no reason whatsoever.

P.S.- for those with a good memory who are thinking "I thought you were
splitting the cases anyway to put in a cam"... you remember correctly.  I
received my Isky cam last week, removed the bellhousing, and found that
there is already an Isky cam installed!!  DOH!!!!  So anyway I wrote clarks
to see about returning the cam with the stock type gear pre-installed by
them.. If the return is a problem I guess I'll be looking to sell the 270
cam with stock gear and new lifters.  All are unopened.

Ray Rodriguez
the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/