<VV> RE: thermostats

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Wed May 16 21:38:20 EDT 2007

The neat thing about these thermostats, is their behaviour is determined by
what's in them, isobutanol. See:

 _I_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobutanol) s_obutanol - Wikipedia, the
free  encyclopedia_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobutanol)

Since it's boiling point determines when they expand, the test is actually
quite simple. Usually they fail open, as the bellows is spring loaded that way.
 If it expands fully at anything above this temperature, you're good. These
do  NOT work like the thermostats in water pumpers!!

In a message dated 5/16/2007 6:35:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
srmarti at netzero.net writes:

>found that in a calibrated oven, the two I have start to expand at  2200 F
and expand fully between 225-2300 F  which would equate to  doors fully open
(if properly adjusted). How does that compare with GM  specs?

Chuck S
BBRT

Think you might mean 220 degrees not  2200!   Don't know the spec exactly,
but I think that’s in the  ballpark.   Usually when failed, they fail open.

Steve  Marti

Checked by AVG Free  Edition.
6:05 PM