<VV> Quote from hemmings

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri May 18 17:51:02 EDT 2007

As somebody that used to play with vintage SAABs, I have to say there is
a great deal of similarity between that market and the Corvair market.

Is $4000 top price for that particular car? Maybe not, but 95% of 96's
on the market are WELL below that figure. I've never seen a stock 96 do
much more than about $6000 while the nicest modified one that I've seen
can be had for under $10k. Obviously the cars are significantly
undervalued, just like out Corvairs.

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/9X.html
http://www.vsaab.com/Classified/classified_96.htm

And just like our Corvair community, there are a lot of vintage SAAB
guys who like it that way. And like our community, they are stereotyped
as being "cheap".

Where I think Hemmings is wrong is that the vintage SAAB community has
always been very small... just like the community that bought these cars
new.

Corvairs, then and now, have much more mainstream appeal. Plus, the
Corvair market is not static... we are seeing an influx of second and
third generation owners who see the Corvair as a reasonably priced
alternative to a Camaro or Mustang... not always even aware of the
"stigma" our cars endured. We also see interest from European car owners
who see the Corvair the closest thing to an European sports GT that the
US ever built.

The vintage SAAB community is static by comparison... as is the price of
the cars. Those classifieds look just like they did a decade ago...
while Corvair values have increased substantially over that same period.
Maybe the pundit that wrote the blurb hasn't followed the market... but
you have to admit that there are still a lot of Corvairs out there for
well under $4000.... the difference is there are a lot in five figures
as well.

I was amused to see that comparison used myself, but not shocked by it.

Bill Elliott
Urbana, MD