<VV> Strange Front Suspension/Steering Problem

Greg Hanlin g.hanlin at earthlink.net
Sun May 20 21:34:52 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I've been working on a '65 convertilbe lately and ran across a strange situation with the front suspension and steering.  When the front suspension is unloaded (car is on jackstands, wheels are off) I am getting interference between the top of the spindle and the bottom edge of the upper A-arm when I turn the wheels.  This is occurring on the driver's side turning to the left and the passenger side (to a lesser extent) when turning right.  I can turn a bit off center before they interfere, but no where near full lock.  Now, if I jack under the lower arm and load the suspension a bit, the outer edge of the upper A-arm rises, the interference is gone and I can turn the wheels no problem.

Now, I know some will say "keep the front end on the ground" and you won't notice it, lol.....but something is amiss here.  This car has been off the road for a number of years - and I've only driven it around the driveway etc., so I don't have much history on it, but I hadn't noticed any problems....until I put it on jackstands.  The upper ball joints appear to be replacement units (bolted in) so I'm guessing the lowers may have been replaced as well.  Shocks are new Clark units and the problem is the same whether they are loosened or fully installed.

Has anyone experienced this?  Ideas of what this is symptom of?  Thanks for the help,

Greg Hanlin
Dayton  OH