<VV> Autocross report (BIG BLOW-UP)

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue May 22 02:06:54 EDT 2007

At 07:32 PM 5/21/2007, Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation wrote:
>At 09:05 AM 5/21/2007, Paul Fox wrote:
>
>>You hear stoies about flywheel blow-ups Now I know why you need a
>>scatter sheild in a front engined car.
>
>Bruce Carlton blowed his up real good on the superspeedway at Pocono
>last year.  Just tore the back of the car apart!  We never did find
>all the pieces (there were many) and I figured they burned up on re-entry.

At B&R Autoparts Inc here in town, there used to be a pressure plate
ring on display at the counter.   It was just the section that was
attached to the flywheel with the bolts with the clutch cover peeled
back like a wildflower bloom.    It came off a Roadrunner, 383 with
some tricks, engine revved well, was street racing somewhere and the
clutch blew apart at high rpm.    The flywheel was steel and held
together no problem but the pressure plate blew up and almost cut the
car into two pieces.    It tore up the trans tunnel where it attached
to the firewall and broke the dash in half, took out the windshield
and part of the firewall along with a piece of the driver's
foot.   This, after cutting up the steel bellhousing.     An
exploding clutch is nasty, nearly totalled the Roadrunner and this
was when a '70 Roadrunner was still in warranty.

I always remembered every detail... only street car I ever saw that
blew up a clutch like that.    Made me shiver and count my toes each
time I thought about it, for years.     Makes me ponder the fact that
there's no scattershield available for a 'Vair engine.      Maybe
there should be...

The interesting part is that for a long time, the best place to buy
yourself a blastcan was from an outfit called...   (wait for it)

...Lakewood.

tony..